14 January 2009

A Day In The Life

What do you typically eat in a day?

I've been asked this question quite a bit lately from people that are genuinely interested in a raw foods lifestyle. I began transitioning from SAD (Standard American Diet) to Raw almost six months ago, and a "typical" day has changed along the way. I thought I'd give you a snapshot of how the transition has progressed.

Six Months Ago

8:00 am
cup of coffee (no sugar, lots of half & half); banana
9:30 am
cup of coffee; onion bagel with tomato, red onion and salmon cream cheese
12:30 pm
bacon cheeseburger (beef, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mayo, ketchup); curly fries; coleslaw; Coke®
4:00 pm
Venti® iced coffee (no sugar, lots of half & half); chocolate chip cookie
6:30 pm
3 slices pizza (onion, black olives); small dinner salad w/ Italian dressing; AriZona® Green Tea w/ Honey
10:00 pm
Microwave buttered popcorn

Exercise: huh?

As you can see, pretty standard American fare. You'll note that I would never think of consuming "diet" drinks because, you know, aspartame causes cancer. Yup, that's where I was at, concerned about aspartame. You do see the irony in this, don't you?

Of course, if I was on a "diet," my typical day would change dependent upon the chosen diet of the moment – I might be counting carbs or points, flushing fat with cranberry juice, or consuming half my weight in protein.

Four Months Ago

8:00 am
16 ounce fresh green juice (kale, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger)
9:00 am
2 bananas
10:00 am
1/2 cantaloupe
11:00 am
1/4 watermelon
12:30 pm
large salad w/ raw Caesar dressing (mixed greens, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomato, red onion, cucumber, avocado, dried cranberries, spicy sprouts); two bowls of Savory Pumpkin Harvest Soup
3:30 pm
16 ounce fresh green juice (kale, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger)
4:30 pm
bag of organic baby carrots
6:30 pm
salad w/ balsamic dressing (baby spinach, tomato, onion); 2 ears raw corn on the cob; steamed asparagus; grilled wild Alaskan salmon

Exercise: walk one hour in morning and evening

At this point, I began the pattern of fruit till noon, raw till dinner. I stopped eating refined and processed foods. I also eliminated dairy and soy. I had to "unlearn" everything I had been taught about fresh fruits and carrots being bad because they contain sugar and will make me fat.

I ate when I was hungry. As you can see, I was eating often and consuming a lot of food. I believe that despite being obese, my body was extremely malnourished. If I got hungry in the evening or wanted something sweet, I'd reach for fruit. No longer sedentary, I was starting to move my body on a daily basis.

Two Months Ago

8:30 am
32 ounce fresh green juice (collards, cucumber, celery, parsley, apple)
10:30 am
3 bananas
1:00 pm
chopped salad (green beans, corn, yellow bell pepper, carrot, grape tomato, zucchini, chive); romaine wraps w/ portobello mushroom, avocado, sprouts
4:00 pm
32 ounce fresh juice (Beetific Elixir)
6:00 pm
Asian salad w/ ginger dressing (baby romaine, baby bok choy, pear, sugar snap peas, mung bean sprouts, fresh basil and cilantro); Pad Thai
w/ raw “peanut” sauce (purple cabbage, carrot, zucchini, young coconut, raw cashews)
7:00 pm
Orange sherbet (coconut, dates, stevia, fresh orange juice)

Exercise: walking an average of 5 miles a day; 30 minutes yoga daily


Still following the same formula of fruit till noon, but I was eating far less and not as often. Increased my morning green juice to a quart. Occasionally, I'd have some cooked food, but only at dinner. By this time, however, the only cooked foods I could stomach were lightly steamed veggies, baked sweet potato, or grilled fish. Of course, my head would often try to tell me otherwise and I would attempt to eat a heavier cooked meal. But, my body would say "nope" and within a half hour I was in the bathroom.

Yesterday

10:00 am
32 ounce fresh green juice (kale, cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger)
11:30 am
2 pink grapefruit, 3 navel oranges
1:00 pm
salad (mixed greens, yellow bell pepper, tomato, red onion, crunchy sprouts) w/ golden elixir (lemon juice, raw honey, garlic, ginger, olive oil); spicy tomato soup (tomato, garlic, red bell pepper, cayenne pepper, avocado, lemon)
4:00 pm
32 ounce green smoothie (spinach, banana, pineapple)
6:30 pm
arame salad (arame seaweed, red bell pepper, pineapple, basil, tamari, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil); Mermaid Pasta with Veggies

Exercise: walk 6 miles; 90 minute yoga class

Same drill – start my day with fresh green juice and fruit until noon. The difference being, I typically don't want my juice until later in the morning now. Instead, I'll usually reach for a quart of water to start my day.

My meals are quick and simple to prepare. No fuss. Maybe twice a week, I'll have something cooked at dinner like a baked sweet potato. Haven't had my beloved wild Alaskan salmon in quite a while. Just no desire, really. Eee gads! Am I becoming a vegan?


What do you typically eat in a day? Has it changed at all over the last year?


Stumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus
Blog Widget by LinkWithin