To Juice Or Not To Juice


I had a couple of interesting questions posed to me recently and thought I would address them both here.

1. Why do you go to all the trouble of juicing your vegetables instead of eating them?

Well, first let me say that it's no trouble at all. Five minutes and I'm done. That said, you wouldn't believe the number of people I know who have purchased juicers (some of them spending big bucks!) only to have them sit in their kitchen cupboards collecting dust. Why? Because they found that the preparation and clean-up involved with their juicer was, quite simply, a royal pain in the backside.

Look, there's a b'zillion different brands, makes and models of juicers out there. Some of them are a substantial financial investment. But, really, what's the point in investing anything at all if you're not going to use it?

Before purchasing my own juicer, I knew ease of use and clean-up were important factors for me. Keep it simple is my motto. I researched different models on the internet before heading out to the stores. Short of taking them out for a test drive, I stood in front of the floor models on display and took each of them apart and put them back together again. Not once did I get scolded for doing so.

I love my Breville because it has a very wide mouth so I don't have to cut things up beforehand, and clean up is a snap. It gets used two, sometimes three times a day.

I will typically start my morning with a fresh juice like this:
  • 1 head romaine lettuce
  • 6 stalks kale
  • 2 Fuji apples
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 inch fresh ginger root
Imagine if I had to chop all that up into a bowl and then eat it. Five minutes would turn into forty-five. And hey, that's a lot of chewing!

I have a friend who calls fresh vegetable juice plant blood and I think it's fitting for something that's loaded with organic water, chlorophyll, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.


2. What's the difference between fresh juice and a smoothie made with fresh fruits or vegetables?

Fiber.

A juicer will separate the juice from the fiber, leaving you with only pure organic hydration. That's water derived from plant sources, folks, and it's essential for encouraging and nourishing healthy cells.

By removing the fiber, our digestive systems get a break and that nutrient-rich plant blood can pass directly into our bloodstream and start going to work on a cellular level.

To juice or not to juice?

No question about it, if you want to supercharge your immune system and purge loads of toxins from your body, get juicing!