Behold, The Eighth Wonder Of The World


So I got this inspiration from my friend Gwyneth Paltrow, who sent me this email. Well, okay, she's not exactly my friend. I mean, technically we've never actually met. But, she emails me like every week and always signs off with

Love,
--- Gwyneth Paltrow

Anyway. Gwyneth's telling me all about where to eat and stay in Paris (cuz I go there so frequently) and says,

Le Voltaire is a lovely place on the river with a lighter type of French fare (grapefruit and avocado salad). It is one of my favorite spots to go for lunch.
And, I'm like What??? Grapefruit and avocado?! Parlez-vous français?

Now you know I'm currently having this love affair with ruby red grapefruit sent from Florida (Thanks Mom!). And me and the avocado have been involved in a healthy long-term relationship since, what, high school? But, holy guacamole, a marriage of the two?

I just had to take my chances and see if they could cohabit. And, wonder of wonders, a match made in heaven (or France). Listen, I have no idea how Le Voltaire makes their salad, but here's le earthmother version.

Ruby Red Grapefruit & Avocado Salad

2 medium ruby red grapefruits, diced (reserve juice)
2 ripe avocados, diced
1 tsp raw honey
handful of pomegranate seeds
sprig of fresh mint leaves, rough chopped

Using a sharp knife, cut the peel and white pith from grapefruits and dice, saving the juice. Pit, peel and dice avocados. Place grapefruit and avocado in a large salad bowl and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.

Add honey and mint to reserved grapefruit juice and mix well. Drizzle over salad and gently toss before serving.

Eat. Die. Go to heaven. Repeat.

I have this friend who tells me to try making a smoothie with the ruby reds and bananas. Now, personally, I'm a green smoothie kinda gal, but I'm all for experimenting.

Sweet. Tart. Creamy.

Great. Now I need a 12-step program. And, another order of citrus.

Hello, Mom?